Friday, November 7, 2014

Friday, November 7, 2014


Classroom Notice:
If you take a book off of the shelves of my classroom library, you need to "check out" the book.

There are many of my books that have gone missing. If you forgot to check out a book you borrowed from me, please do so ASAP! 


FOOD DRIVE 
FOR LOCAL FAMILIES
November 3rd-14th
 Please bring in non-perishable food items to the table by the front office each morning.

Independent Reading (This is week #12)
Mini-Lesson:
Good readers are able to visualize what they are reading.  
Essential Questions:
Am I able to make a "mind movie" of what I've read? Can I picture the people, places, events and/or information being described to help me understand what is happening?
Work Time:
Turn in your sticky notes!
* Read for 20 Minutes
* Reading Conferences


Unit 3: Authors as Mentors
Essential Questions:
How does an author use elements of literature to enhance writing?

How does a reader engage in meaningful discussion about text, seek feedback, and reflect on his or her own personal learning?

How do readers and writers think about text?
Standard:
OEL.1.d.i Come to discussions prepared, having read or studied required material; explicitly draw on that preparation by referring to evidence on the topic, text, or issue to probe and reflect on ideas under discussion. (CCSS: SL.6.1a)
I will know I’m successful when...
  • I can tell why the text is engaging (interesting). 
  • I can identify what makes the text seem satisfying.
  • I can identify how the writer crafts a story to make it suspenseful.
  • I can identify how the author's purpose is linked to the theme.
Mini-Lesson:
Mrs. Brownell will teach us the Socratic Seminar expectations and rules.
Work Time:
             Today I will participate in a Socratic Seminar discussion using the short stories, "Tell Tale Heart" and "Charles". 

Independent Work Time: NewsELA Article: 

"Cool kids" in middle school fizzle out later on"

Debrief:

Homework:
Reading at least 30 Minutes for your "40 Book Challenge" (Even on Saturday and Sunday!)
Update your reading list (It's in Google Classroom)

Click here for a Late Assignment Turn In Sheet for any late or resubmitted work


No comments:

Post a Comment