Tuesday, November 4, 2014

Tuesday, November 3, 2014


FOOD DRIVE 
FOR LOCAL FAMILIES
November 3rd-14th

In conjunction with the Thornton Police Department, Rocky Top Middle School is holding it's annual holiday food drive.  Please bring in non-perishable food items to the table by the front office each morning.  

Once again, we'll have a competition to see which 1st core class can collect the most items.  

The winning class will receive breakfast burritos, courtesy of Good Time Burgers & Frozen Custard.

Independent Reading (This is week #12)
Mini-Lesson:
Good readers are able to visualize what they are reading.  
Essential Questions:
Am I able to make a "mind movie" of what I've read? Can I picture the people, places, events and/or information being described to help me understand what is happening?
Work Time:
Turn in your sticky notes!
* Read for 20 Minutes
* Reading Conferences


Unit 3: Authors as Mentors
Essential Questions:
How does an author use elements of literature to create a powerful story?
How does good writing make for easy reading?
Standard:
Key Ideas and Details:
Read closely to determine what the text says explicitly and to make logical inferences from it; cite specific textual evidence when writing or speaking to support conclusions drawn from the text.
I will know I’m successful when...
  • I can tell why the text is engaging (interesting). 
  • I can identify what makes the text seem satisfying.
  • I can identify how the writer crafts a story to make it suspenseful.
  • I can identify how the author's purpose is linked to the theme.
Mini-Lesson:
Work Time:
      

  1.  Reread: "CHARLES" by Shirley Jackson
  2. Complete text-dependent questions (in Google Classroom)
Debrief:

Homework:
Reading 30 Minutes (Even on Saturday and Sunday!)
Update your reading list (It's in Google Classroom)

Click here for a Late Assignment Turn In Sheet for any late or resubmitted work

No comments:

Post a Comment