Monday, November 10, 2014

Monday, November 10, 2014



FOOD DRIVE 
FOR LOCAL FAMILIES
November 3rd-14th
 Please bring in non-perishable food items to the table by the front office each morning.

Independent Reading (This is week #13)
Mini-Lesson:
Good readers are able to visualize what they are reading.  
Essential Questions:
Am I able to make a "mind movie" of what I've read? Can I picture the people, places, events and/or information being described to help me understand what is happening?
Work Time:
* Read for 20 Minutes
* Reading Conferences


Unit 3: Authors as Mentors
Essential Questions:
How does an author use elements of literature to enhance writing?

How does a reader engage in meaningful discussion about text, seek feedback, and reflect on his or her own personal learning?

How do readers and writers think about text?
Standard:
OEL.1.d.i Come to discussions prepared, having read or studied required material; explicitly draw on that preparation by referring to evidence on the topic, text, or issue to probe and reflect on ideas under discussion. (CCSS: SL.6.1a)
I will know I’m successful when...
  • I can tell why the text is engaging (interesting). 
  • I can identify what makes the text seem satisfying.
  • I can identify how the writer crafts a story to make it suspenseful.
  • I can identify how the author's purpose is linked to the theme.
Mini-Lesson:
Mrs. Brownell will teach us the Socratic Seminar expectations and rules.
Work Time:
             Today I will participate in a Socratic Seminar discussion using the short stories, "Tell Tale Heart" and "Charles". 

Independent Work Time: NewsELA Article: 

"Cool kids" in middle school fizzle out later on"

Debrief:

Homework:
Reading at least 30 Minutes for your "40 Book Challenge" (Even on Saturday and Sunday!)
Update your reading list (It's in Google Classroom)

Click here for a Late Assignment Turn In Sheet for any late or resubmitted work


No comments:

Post a Comment